CJD 04-08 – “Directive Concerning Court Appointments of Child and Family Investigators Pursuant to C.R.S. 14-10-116.5”
Additionally, JDF 1318 (“Order Appointing Child and Family Investigator”) will be revised by State Judicial to reflect the changes.
The following changes were made to the CFI procedures:
- Establish a cap of $2,000.00 for the investigation and report;
- Require further order of the court and specific findings of extraordinary circumstances to justify fees and costs that exceed the cap;
- Eliminate the CFIs authority to perform psychological testing or drug and alcohol evaluations;
- Eliminate CFI quasi-judicial immunity in the order of appointment; and
- Eliminate the CFI authority to conduct a meeting with parties when a protection order restrains such contact.
The amendments reflect Chief Justice Michael L. Bender’s decisions based on various recommendations submitted by The Supreme Court Standing Committee on Family Issues.