On Thursday, October 27, 2016, the State Commission on Judicial Performance issued a request for public input on the state’s Judicial Performance Evaluation. The Commission is conducting a sunset review, as it is due to sunset in 2019. The Commission will hold several meetings throughout Colorado on the following dates and times:
- Denver (November 14 – 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Ralph L. Carr Judicial Center Room 1E)
- Alamosa (November 15 – Noon to 2 PM Rio Grande Water Conservation District Office)
- Pueblo (November 16 – Noon to 2 PM Jury Assembly Room Pueblo Combined Court)
- Colorado Springs (November 16 – 4:00 PM Jury Assembly Room El Paso County Judicial Building)
- Grand Junction (November 17 – Noon to 2 PM Jury Assembly Room Mesa County Justice Center)
- Breckenridge (November 18 –Noon – 2 PM Jury Assembly Room Summit County Justice Center)
- Durango (November 18 – Noon to 2 PM Jury Assembly Room La Plata County Courthouse)
- Lamar (November 21 – Noon to 2 PM Large Courtroom Prowers County Combined Court)
- Greeley (November 22 – Noon to 2 PM Jury Assembly Room Weld County Centennial Center)
- Fort Collins (November 22- 4:00 PM Jury Assembly Room Larimer County Justice Center)
- Denver (December 5 – 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Ralph L. Carr Judicial Center Room 1E)
During these meetings, the Commission requests that the public offer input on the following questions:
- Do you rely on Judicial Performance Evaluations when you vote for judges? Why or why not?
- Are we collecting the right information about judges?
- Are we evaluating and reporting the evaluations properly?
- Does the quality and usefulness of the evaluation information meet your expectations?
- What other attributes of judges should we be gathering feedback on?
- What suggestions do you have to improve the system?
The Commission is not seeking input about particular judges or a particular judge’s particular decisions at this meeting. The focus will be on the evaluation process itself.
If you cannot attend one of these meetings, you may submit comments regarding the program at www.ojpe.org. Click on the “Citizens Feedback” button at the top of the page to begin the process. For further information contact the Office of Judicial Performance Evaluation, (303) 928-7777 or email Kent Wagner, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.