August 21, 2019

SB 13-142: Requiring the United States to Cede or Extinguish Title to Agricultural Public Lands and Transfer Title to the State

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013, Sen. Scott Renfroe introduced SB 13-142 – Concerning the Requirement that the Federal Government Extinguish Title to all Agricultural Public Lands and Transfer Title to the State. This summary is published here courtesy of the Colorado Bar Association’s e-Legislative Report.

The bill requires the United States to cede or extinguish title to all agricultural public lands and transfer title to the state. The state board of land commissioners is required to manage such agricultural public lands in a way that produces reasonable and consistent income over time by prudently protecting, selling, exchanging, or otherwise disposing of such agricultural public lands. In the event the state board of land commissioners sells agricultural public lands, the United States is entitled to receive 95% of the net proceeds of the sale. The remaining 5% is credited to the internal improvements trust fund. The trust fund is to remain inviolate and intact and only the interest and income earned on the deposit and investment of moneys in the trust fund may be expended and used as follows: 50% is to be credited to the state education fund and 50% may be appropriated by the general assembly for water storage projects recommended by the Colorado water conservation board. On February 11, the State, Veterans, & Military Affairs Committee referred the unamended bill to the Appropriations Committee for consideration of the fiscal impact on the state.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind